Friday, February 8, 2013

Chicken & Turkey, a Red Blend

A great way to get a good deal on wine is to join a club. Clubs will do the selecting for you and there is usually some cash savings involved. Here in Montana, laws prevent you from shipping wine to an individual so you have to look locally. I've written about the Simply Wine store and club on my family blog. Sue has 3 options and I've always gone for the Simply Wine club which is 3 bottles for $29.95. The bottles on their own typically range in price from around $8-9 up to $15-18, depending on what Sue is able to get. I like that I'm able to try wines I probably wouldn't otherwise and am able to afford to do so.

February's selections are 2 reds and a white. The white is a Riesling, which I think I'm going to save for when my mother-in-law is in town as she enjoys sweeter wines. Pacific Rim Organic Riesling is organic and runs $9.99 at Simply Wine. The first red is Caparzo Sangiovese Toscana, and runs around $14.99 at the store. Per Sue's notes, this is one to keep for a couple of years. At $14.99, this is definitely a splurge so might be worth holding on to for a while.

The 2nd red I opened last night and is, yes, Chicken & Turkey, called thusly because it goes well with poultry. So, of course, I had it with pizza. This is a red blend and was much better today after getting a little air. I've really started to enjoy blends and this is a blend of 2 of my favorites: Syrrah and Grenache. This is a beautiful dark red with a touch of purple. Sue's notes mention bing cherry, tobacco and licorice, which is probably the bit of spice I'm getting. On it's own, a bottle is $11.99, so just above my limit. I've enjoyed this one, but not sure I'd go out of my way to get another bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment