Thursday, October 16, 2014

Shoo Fly Buzz Cut

It has been quite some time since I have had a Shoo Fly wine. I last posted about Shoo Fly in 2011, before I even started this blog. I actually haven't even seen the label in quite some time. But last week, I decided I needed a day off, so I took a vacation day and went to Sioux Falls. I needed to pick up a few things at the Girl Scout store and wanted to check out a different wine store I had heard about: JJ's Wine Spirits & Cigars. Beautiful store, LOADS of selection. Great beer selection as well -- found Big Sky Brewing and picked up a six pack of Moose Drool for Rocky. I was delighted [yes DELIGHTED] to see Shoo Fly!

I hadn't had the Buzz Cut, but decided to try it. The wine is from Adelaide South Australia. This is a cool, crisp white blend [37% Riesling, 32% Viognier, 21% Verdelho, 5% Chardonnay, 5% 
 Sauvignon Blanc]. This has an apple-y aroma with some citrus I can't quite place. Satisfying, short acidic finish.

From the tasting notes: The fruit for Shoofly’s Buzz Cut is sourced from Australia’s premier cool-climate wine region, Adelaide; this region is ideally suited for zippy, crisp white varietals. Shoofly’s Buzz Cut is made in a style for early drinking with the juice undergoing a cool, stainless steel ferment to retain the fresh varietal characters. Buzz Cut is a fresh, vibrant white blend displaying exotic fruits on the nose and refreshing apple and citrus crunch on the palate. Austere Adelaide Hills Riesling combines with exotically perfumed Viognier and tropical-fruited Verdelho to produce a mouthwatering wine offering supple, ripe fruit alongside crisp, spritzy acidity. Dashes of Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc contribute a rich mouthfeel and bright, herbal edge.

JJ's also has the Merlot, so I'm sure I'll pick up a bottle on my next trip to Sioux Falls (which will hopefully be for their Riedel glass tasting featuring the wines of David-Bynum (Russian River Valley) and Rodney Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment