Friday, October 24, 2014

Shooting Star Blue Franc Blaufrankisch

It's always more fun to drink with a friend. I've been a bit lacking in that department since leaving all my church-going, wine-drinking friends in Billings. So when I was faced with a Friday evening alone, I decided it was time to reach out to a group of ladies in Brookings that may include some wine drinkers: the Girl Scout leaders.

I got a taker and we enjoyed this Shooting Star Blue Franc, some Papa Murphy's Take & Bake and some great conversation! 

This was part of my new wine club, I believe the September group. This wine is fruity, fragrant with a dry short finish. A Sonoma Valley wine, Steele Winery has been around for some time. This wine is made with the Lemberger grape or the "Blau Frankisch", (actual translation, blue grape from France). The wine maker found these grapes originally in Austria, and later as being grown in Yakima Valley in Washington (though apparently no one likes the name of the grape -- reminders of the limburger cheese apparently). The winemaker in this case opted to call the grapes "Blue Franc" and uses the French currency as part of the label -- which is clever and definitely an eye catcher! As someone who will often select wines based on the label, I really like it.

A great, affordable wine! A quick online search shows it selling for around $13/bottle. I will definitely be picking up another bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment